Wednesday, February 24, 2010

No more anonymous commenting

So to speak. Everyone can thank the person posting comments about the sex industry in Canada in different posts utterly unrelated to it.

You can use a Google account, Blogger account, or Open ID to leave a comment. Sorry for the inconvenience, but even before the appearance of these comments dropped like little digital turds, it was getting confusing reading 4 worthwhile comments in a row from 4 different 'anonymous's, if you know what I mean. Hopefully it doesn't encourage anyone from commenting, and allows for a more transparent discussion.

4 comments:

kushibo said...

Yay! The attack of the anonymoi is over!

Even though a userid can also be anonymous, I think some people behave better or tend to put a little more thought into their comments when in the back of their mind they're concerned about their userid's "brand."

Not everyone, of course, but enough that it might cause an uptick in the overall tone and quality of commenting.

Alex said...

Good idea. I think I'll do that on my blog too. I'm never sure if the multiple anon comments are from different people or not. And it's not like they can't make up a totally silly name through open id.

kushibo said...

I get confused between the two Roberts who occasionally comment on my blog, only one of whom is The Marmot.

There are also two "Matts." Lowercase matt is the one who runs Popular Gusts, while uppercase Matt is East Windup Chronicle (?), now 화이팅!: True Stories of Korean Baseball.

Brian said...

I don't think uppercase Matt was ever part of East Windup Chronicle.

Stopping anonymous commenters on my site has worked out very well. Just that now I have, like, four people named Chris, three Matts, and the occassional "Brian," from whom I kindly request a name change.