Friday, November 23, 2007

Horace H. Underwood on Korean and American culture

I found a link to this page in a comment by suddenly susan to this Metropolitician post.

In these articles, Horace H. Underwood the differences between Korean and American culture in a very clear way. They're well worth your time.

Korean Culture: "In" and "Out"
No Men Are Created Equal
Honesty vs. Loyalty: Which is More Important?
Heredity and Environment
(The second sentence of the conclusion to this piece really needs updating.)
Ch’emyon or Social Face in Korean Society

2 comments:

Whitey said...

Yeah, I stumbled on those links the same way and I, too, thought they were really good.

I especially remember his good explanation of how loyalty trumps honesty in Korea.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious, how much of this still applies in modern Seoul? Our teenage exchange student assures us that this is rapidly changing... and almost entirely gone in her generation.